6/13/2014

DAY ONE 6/12 : Photographers Assistant in DC

My moms friends husband is a photographer and asked if i would like to help assist him at a nursing conference in DC. It paid really well and I figured it would be a great way to get some experience.

I woke up a day before the shoot feeling like I was about to get a cold, sore throat... let be real, I sounded like a man. We got to the hotel a night early so we could have a meeting and discuss what he expected me to do and what needed to be done. I was feeling pretty nervous, i didn't know what to expect. I sat through the meeting just trying to soak everything in. We met with the rest of the production team and everyone was really nice! I left the meeting to go to bed because day 1 was an early morning and I figured I would need all the sleep I could get.

I woke up the next day around 6:25 and felt sicker than I did the day before. I pumped some medicine in me and went off to the first shoot. We spent the day running from room to room getting shots of general activity and important speakers. And by we I mean him... I was there to pretty much carry the equipment, and in no way am I complaining! It was just awesome to be there. Since I was a bit sick carrying bags all day did wear me out a bit.

After a couple shoots we went off to Capitol Hill to take some photographs with the nurses and the senators. We got there kinda early so there was a lot of sitting around but I needed it. Once we got the shot and met the senator (adorable old lady). We then went over to the Cannon building to meet some more nurses, turns out someone switched the times and never told us. We quickly called the person and charge and was able to make it to other nurses in the building. When we got there we had to wait a little because the senator was running a little behind in the meeting. In her waiting area there was a large chalkboard that I got to sign! I felt super special to have my name on a wall. We got a quick lunch and headed back to the conference.

Once we got back is when I started to feel uber gross, the medicine was probably wearing off. We took a couple generic shots of the awards and reception and then went back to the office to upload and edit. Luckily the photographer felt bad that I wasn't feeling well so he let me go. I went back to my room, took a quick shower and went to bed.

It was a super exhausting day and I feel terrible that I can't help more but this cold is more draining than I thought! Assisting is no joke, but I have already learned so much and its only day 1!

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© candidly brittany. Design by Fearne.